Thursday 9 April 2015

Lantis Festival 2015 exclusive interivew - Minori Chihara

The largest Anisong concert in Singapore, Lantis Festival 2015, ended the previous Saturday on 28 March. Possibly the best lineup Lantis prepared for this tour, with heavyweights like JAM Project and Minori Chihara.


And speaking of the lovely Minori Chihara, we managed to arrange for an exclusive interview to talk about Lantis Festival and Anisong!


Minori_Chihara


SGCafe: Hello, and welcome to Singapore! And speaking of Singapore, what are your thoughts about coming here to perform as part of Lantis Festival?


 Chihara Minori: I was so looking forward to be in Singapore – it’d be my first time here! After hearing Singapore weather’s 30 degrees Celsius and up, I couldn’t wait for it. Since it’s still rather cold in Japan, going to a warm country got me really excited! I’ve also heard that Singapore’s a beautiful and multi-racial country, which made me feel more and more interested in it.


I’ve just reached Singapore not too long ago, so I haven’t got a chance to see around yet! (laughs) There are loads of people from different countries around, and all that greenery amongst tall buildings feels really fresh to me. It was fun just to go out (of the hotel) to have a stroll. I have yet to eat any local delicacies, and hope to eat loads today after the concert!


This is my first time performing as part of Lantis Festival overseas… and to be able to be part of it makes me really happy. I am thankful for the opportunity Lantis gave me to start my dream career, which is music.


 


SGCafe: How do you feel about Anisong as a genre, and how has it been part of your life?


Chihara Minori: I’ve loved watching anime since I was a kid. Together with my elder sister and younger brother, the three of us would religiously watch anime broadcasted on TV. Since there, I have encountered Anisong. The catchy melody that’s easy to memorize, and the straightforward lyrics were memorable. My siblings and I would enjoy singing together with the cassettes while receiving these messages about bravery and love from the lyrics.


To me, Anisong gradually evolved to something more personal to me as I enjoy singing and wish to be a singer during my high school years. So after that I participated in various auditions and enrolled myself into several schools to train myself to be a singer. From there, I learned how to act, and the faculty recommended me to become a voice actress. I thought it must be some sort of fate, so I went ahead to study on how to be one as well. Years later, I made my debut as a voice actress in the anime “Tenjho Tenge.”


Now that I think about it, I’m blessed by my surroundings. I think becoming an Anisong singer also has got to do my encounter with Anisong since childhood. Two years after my début, I got an offer to portray Yuki Nagato from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I met Lantis from there, and started my music career as Minori Chihara singing Anisongs.


Anisongs, to me, is something irreplaceable and allows me to connect to my fans. Fans always go crazy when I sing Anisongs, which goes the same for overseas fans. I feel that it is something that anime or songs alone would not be able to conceive… this really huge, passionate and wonderful energy gathered from fans all over who love anime.


 


SGCafe: What are your favourite songs among among those performed by the artistes appearing at Lantis Festival Singapore?


Chihara Minori: Ah, favourite songs… It has to be (Hironobu) Kagayama’s “CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA”! I loved it since I was a kid, and I’m honored to be in the same record company with him… In the Anisong industry, he exceeded great achievement, and I respect him as a person also.


Also really special to me is Masami Okui’s ‘Rondo Revolution”, of whom I will be collaborating with tonight! It is also a song that I have covered previously. I am so lucky to be able to sing that song with her!


 


SGCafe: What are your favourite moments performing at Lantis Festival?


Chihara Minori: Ever since Lantis established my career as a singer 8 years ago, they have dedicated to making great songs, creating opportunities for CDs and concerts. I am really grateful for the opportunity to work with Lantis thus far.


Lantis festival is an event where we can let many people know about the history of Lantis. So, I’d like to express my gratitude towards Lantis through my songs. This time, Lantis Festival is also held in overseas, which allows me to go overseas. I also feel responsible for my performance since it is crucial that we convey Lantis’ songs’ charisma through it.


Of course, attendees of Lantis Festivals love anime songs, and that motivates the artistes. The vibes sync, resulting outstanding performance!


As for fun moments, to be able to travel with the Lantis family all over and meet the fans and eat loads of tasty delicacies, I guess? (laughs) I’m also very excited to meet all the people I don’t usually get to meet.


 


SGCafe: What are your thoughts about the reprisal of your role in the upcoming anime “The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan”, and reuniting with your old cast members?


Chihara Minori: I’m super happy! It has been 10 years since my life changed after being involved with “The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya”, regardless as a voice actress or a singer. There’s other spin-off anime as well, such as SOS-Dan (a 4koma anime adaptation) that we’ve last done recording together every week, and it has been a really fun experience with awesome buddies… Almost like a school reunion! I guess being involved in Haruhi (anime series) makes you energetic and hyper!


In “The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan”, it is the alternate world where Kyon didn’t press the RETURN key in “The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya”. That alternate world is where Yuki Nagato smiles, cries and gets angry – with various expressions unlike the expressionless alien she’s previously known to be. It is the personification of how Yuki’s been trying so hard all these while, to reach out to Kyon with her feelings. It brings me great happiness to be able to portray Yuki Nagato once again every week.


I suppose that the best team for me would be the team behind “The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya”. Staff, cast members – everyone! We become one and try our best to create a work that can cheer up many people. It’s a pure love romance story, and I highly recommend it!


 


SGCafe: Lastly, a message for your fans in Singapore!


Chihara Minori: Since my career started in Japan, whether in concerts or other areas, I have encountered several warm and dedicated fans from overseas. It’s beyond my imagination that I would be able to perform outside of Japan. I have realized again how influential Japanese anime is, and am proud that I am part of this anime culture that’s loved by people all over the world. As a voice actress and singer, I thank everyone from Singapore and overseas who have supported me. I will continue to be involved with anime work and songs and hopefully one day, to return the big favour this industry has gave me.


Even though this is my first time in Singapore, I will do my best and hope that I will be able to come back again in the future. Please continue to support me! Thank you very much~!


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 



Lantis Festival 2015 exclusive interivew - Minori Chihara

No comments:

Post a Comment