Summer usually means the beach, but in Japan, it can also mean summer festivals. It is traditional to attend these Japanese summer festivals wearing a summer yukata, and that practice has become a common feature in anime.
To celebrate the new festival season in Japan, animeanime.jp has asked 543 men and women to vote for which anime character do they want to spend time with in a summer festival while wearing a yukata. The voting is divided between male and female characters, and each voter was allowed to choose which character for both genders do they want to go with. Here are the results:
Female characters people want to spend time with while wearing a yukata:
- Kyouka Izumi from Bungo Stray Dogs
- Rem from Re:Zero
- Lenalee Lee from D.Gray-man Hallow
- Shinoa Hīragi from Seraph of the End
- Sharo from Is the order a rabbit?
- Rin Tohsaka from Fate/Stay night: Unlimited Blade Works
- Anastasia from The ID@LMASTER: Cinderella Girls
- Tsumugi Inuzuka from Sweetness and Lightning
- Sheryl Nome from Macross Frontier
- Ruby Kurosawa from Love Live! Sunshine!!
Male characters people want to spend time with while wearing a yukata:
- Gintoki Sakata from Gintama
- Tanaka from Tanaka-kun is Always Listless
- Tooru Amuro from Detective Conan
- Ikki Kurogane from Chivalry of a Failed Knight
- Sabo from One Piece
- Char Aznable from Mobile Suit Gundam
- Daryun from The Heroic Legend of Arslan
- Yuri Lowell from Tales of Vesperia
- Kankichi Ryoutsu from Kochikame
- Tobio Kageyama from Haikyuu!!
Surprisingly enough, both characters who took first place have often been featured wearing yukatas themselves, in fact, Kyouka wears her’s each and every day. And speaking of Kyouka, she managed to beat Rem from Re:Zero, and that is quite a huge upset considering the extent of Rem and Re:Zero’s popularity nowadays.
So, which anime character do you want to spend time with during a summer festival?
Don’t miss a single update from SGCafe! Follow us on Twitter: @SGCafe
Japanese fans pick which anime characters they want to go to a summer festival with, wearing a yukata